Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Money makes the world go round (part 2)
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart".
If you haven’t read my first article about money you really should do so. It’s the starting point for this posting. In it I posed the question why I (you?) always want to buy new gadgets, a new hifi, a new laptop, …..new things. The answer was people tend to peer over the fence too much, and then seeing what others have, want to have that too.That’s probably how it works in my case as well. Now what is the deciding factor for me personally whether I will buy something or not? Necessity is important. I will buy food, it’s necessary if I want to maintain this Blog. I don’t even have to think about it, I just know that I need to eat and drink. But what about all the other stuff? From past experience I know that I’m always deliberating, weighing for a long time. I’m debating with myself, considering arguments in favour and against. Is it a necessary article for our household? Naturally the price is a restricting factor. The biggest hurdle though is my wife. It all boils down to whether I can “sell” my desired purchase to her. Where I’m like a child in a toyshop, I can't do without her much needed restraint. A reassuring thought.

No comments: