Saturday, October 21, 2006

I think therefore I am
A long time ago, somewhere around 14 billion years to be precise, the universe was formed in a majestic big bang. Four billion years ago life on earth started in its most basic form. Evolution took care of the rest. This is what scientists tell us. Most of this sounds plausible as far as I can follow it. There are still a few gaps but eventually they will be filled in too. Still, there are some questions left, questions I have a hard time understanding. Biologists and physicists teach us that most of life's processes are just chemistry and physics. But what the heck is a thought? Is that a chemical formula? Is it made up of just a few molecules? And what is emotion? What makes me think? And what happens when I’m curious? Why can I create things? Who am I? How do you explain that away through chemistry? Is it all electro-chemical processes in my brain? I don’t know about you, but these thoughts keep bothering me. Or are they just a few molecules that are racing through my brain?


No comments: