Thursday, October 05, 2006

Music
Money makes the world go round, so the saying goes. In one of my earlier postings I already disagreed with that. Music is what’s making my world go round. At least for a large part. Although I’m not actively making music myself, it’s definitively a major factor in my life. Right from the start in the sixties, when I started getting involved in music I was hooked. I think the sixties created classic music, music that lasts, that changed the world on a different level than just musically. It was revolutional. Then came the seventies with famous hardrock bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. Also, it saw the emergence of U2. The eighties were the decade of U2. And the nineties? At the time I didn’t know, I was thinking it didn’t produce anything worthwile. Now I know better. Through my daughter’s extensive and varied taste in music I’ve learned to appreciate nineties bands like for instance Oasis and Radiohead, to name a few. Also bands from the last couple of years, like Keane and Muse. One of my latest discoveries is Belle and Sebastian. I now know that there’s still a lot of music being made that’s worthwile, that’s even great to listen to. Although it does not have the revolutionary impact music of the sixties had. The best invention of the last decade? By far the Ipod! It goes where I go, on my bike, in the car, it stands on top of my hifi installation. It’s beautiful. Thanks Steve.

No comments: