Saturday, January 31, 2009

And then there were two: The Who
I'd never been to a concert of the Who, much to my dismay. Together with the Rolling Stones they are my alltime favorite band. The Rolling Stones I had seen back in the early seventies, and in the eighties. More or less with the original bandmembers (Brian Jones had already passed away and been replaced by Mick Taylor, later by Ron Wood). The Stones just kept on touring, not so The Who. Keith Moon died in the late seventies and when the same happened to John Entwistle, I was really wondering if the Who could still be called the Who. And wondering whether I should go to the concert they were giving in Rotterdam in 2007. They'd planned a world tour to promote their new album "Endless Wire". I was skeptical to say the least. Well, I'm so happy I decided to go. The concert surpassed every bit my expectations and hopes. It was the Who I was listening to in every way. Daltrey was almost as good as he used to be when I was 15, the same could be said of Pete Townshend. They were a little older of course, but so was I. They played a lot of the old stuff and songs of their new album. Zack Starkey and Pino Palladino proved to be worthy replacements for Moon and Entwistle. Concluding I can say I had a tremendous time although there's still something nagging at the back of my mind: why haven't I gone to one of their concerts when there were four of them? It'll always be with me.

No comments: